FAQ - Formatting Requirements for Submission
- How should I format my text?
- Should I format my manuscript file according to certain specifications?
- What should I avoid if I am formatting my own work?
- What is a graphic?
- How should I submit my graphics?
- How should I include tables in my manuscript?
- How will I know that you have received my submission?
How should I format my text?
To facilitate the smooth flow of the submissions and publishing process, please try to comply with the following formatting requirements for your manuscript:
- Submit the manuscript as a single word processing file, preferably Microsoft Word or in Rich Text Format (RTF).
- Write the following summaries using your word processing programme and save them as a single file, separate from your manuscript but on the same floppy disk:
- Author's Cover Bio: 100 words max. A short, one-paragraph description of yourself that will appear on the back cover of your book.
- Book Summary: 100 words max. A short, one-paragraph description of your book that appears on the back cover of your book and with your book listing on the Xlibris website.
- Author Biography: 2,000 words max. A longer description of yourself or a message to your readers. It will appear on the author biography page that readers view when they click on your name within the Xlibris website.
- Book Description: 2,000 words max. A longer description of your book that appears on your book's page on the Xlibris website.
- If the text is too large to fit on a disk, split the file into two parts and send two clearly labeled disks. Please use a PC-formatted CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, Memory Stick, Zip disk or 3.5-inch floppy disk.
- Label the disk with your name, telephone number, and the title of your book. Please pack your disks inside protective wrapping or a disk mailer to ensure that they will arrive in usable condition, and please make sure you retain a back-up copy of your manuscript.
Should I format my manuscript file according to certain specifications?
You do not need to format or style your book according to any specifications. In fact, we prefer to receive your book with as little formatting as possible. The only characters that we need are paragraph marks.
What should I avoid if I am formatting my own work?
Xlibris can do all the required formatting for you. If you insist that you would like to do it yourself, please avoid the following:
- Columns in your text. Xlibris offers a professional and standard book layout. If you insert columns in your work, you risk corrupting the layout of your book's text
- Underlined text. Where possible, replace underlined text with italicised text.
- Footnotes. If you need to cite your work, use in-text citations or endnotes (at the end of chapters or at the end of the entire text).
- Pictures inserted into your manuscript file.
- Wingdings, symbolic bullets or characters unavailable within the normal character set (this includes symbols of any kind). If you want to bullet any part of your text, do so with standard bullets.
- Traditional manuscript format (i.e., your name and the page number on every page).
If you have any questions about these requirements, please don't hesitate to contact an Xlibris Associate toll-free at 0800-891-366.
What is a graphic?
A graphic is any element in your book such as a picture, a chart or an illustration of any kind. It can be reproduced in greyscale or full-colour depending on your publishing package.
How should I submit my graphics?
You may submit hard copy / original images or digital images. Xlibris supports supplied hard copy images up to 12" x 17", including original images on paper (original art such as watercolours, line art using ink etc.) and photographs. If you are submitting digital images, please read the following formatting requirements.
- Images are saved preferably as either TIFF or JPEG files, in CMYK colour mode.
- To ensure quality reproduction, all graphics and/or images should have a resolution of at least 300 dpi and be in actual size.
- Save all image files as separate files. Please do not embed or paste images in your manuscript.
- Provide as a separate file the instructions on where the images will be placed in the manuscript.
- Please make sure you use the right file name for easy reference.
- Please indicate directly in your manuscript where the images should be placed (e.g. text, text
text, text). Please make sure you use the right file name for easy reference.
- Aside from the interior images, you have the option to submit the following:
- Cover Image - to be placed on the front cover of the book.
- Cover Design - photo or illustration file for your book cover (not applicable for Advantage)
- Author Image - to be placed on the back cover of the book.
How should I include tables in my manuscript?
Using Microsoft Word: Create your tables, if any, in Microsoft Word and keep them in your manuscript.
Using Microsoft Excel: If you have tables created in Excel, do not embed them in the document, but save each of them individually. Name and number the table files consistently, such as table1, table2, etc. Indicate in the manuscript where each table is to be placed, for example: [Insert table1].
How will I know that you have received my submission?
Once we receive your submission, we will contact you via e-mail or phone.if you do not hear from us within 48 hours please call us at 0800-891-366, or e-mail us at email@example.com.
Start Publishing Your Book Today!
Call 0800-891-366 or +61 2 9423 5044 if you are calling from outside New Zealand (international call rates apply). You may also send an e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for your free consultation. Get Started today by requesting your Free Guide To Publishing Services
Why are we different?
Xlibris has been in the business of making authors' dreams come true for over a decade, a pioneer in the Print-On-Demand publishing revolution, we still lead the way today. Xlibris boasts the most extensive range of publishing and marketing services to help writers not only publish their manuscript, but promote it as well.