FAQ - Marketing Services
- How does Xlibris promote my book?
- Are Xlibris' marketing services mandatory?
- How can I market my book?
- How should I go about marketing my book?
- When should I start marketing my book?
- How can I arrange for a book signing?
- What is Opt-in Email Marketing? (Isn't this SPAMMING?)
- How will I know if my marketing campaign worked?
- Can I choose my media targets?
How does Xlibris promote my book?
Xlibris offers a wide range of promotional services to our authors, including Press Release and Newswire campaigns, Internet-based Marketing, Book Review Campaigns, Single Piece Accessories, Marketing Kits and Publication Announcement campaigns. Some of these are included in almost every publishing package, or you can add your ideal campaign to the publishing service of your choice.
Are Xlibris' marketing services mandatory?
Certainly not. But always remember that regardless of what type of book you have written, if you want your book to sell, a marketing plan is a must. There is no right or wrong way to market your book, each manuscript requires a different tactic to optimise your book's sales potential. Xlibris provides a range of marketing services to help you reach out to your target audience and acts as your personal marketing firm, running campaigns on your behalf in order to foster interest, awareness, and ultimately book sales.
How can I market my book?
There are many things that you as an author can do to market your book. You can submit your book to reviewers and arrange to have book signings at bookstores and organisations in your area. You can distribute brochures or flyers to appropriate locations. You can approach local media such as television, newspapers, and radio for interviews. Word of mouth is one of the best forms of marketing, so don't forget to tell everyone you know about your book.
How should I go about marketing my book?
Marketing plans need to be personalised for each book and each individual author, but here are some general ideas that will put you on the right track:
Write down a list of 10 to 15 potential target markets. Now, ask yourself "How can I best reach this audience?" Here are some effective methods:
- Get an ad or free mention (by sending a press release) to a relevant media outlet
- Send them printed materials with your book's cover and ordering information
- Run an online direct email campaign to reach out to them directly.
- Place a listing in a newspaper or journal, advertising your new book
- Contact these organisations or groups to find out if you can talk to them about your book or conduct a special seminar
- Send a marketing packet to each one on your contact target market list and following up with them later
- Create a web page as an important supplement to your efforts
- Begin networking in the community and at local bookstores
- Schedule book signings and handout printed materials about your book
All of these activities will enhance your marketing efforts and if done correctly, will improve your book sales.
When should I start marketing my book?
It is never too early to start thinking about how you will market your book. It is important that you be able to answer the question "Who will buy my book, and why?" The answer to this question should be the foundation of your marketing plan and will give you your starting point.
How can I arrange for a book signing?
In order to arrange for a book signing, you should contact your local bookstore's community relations manager (CRM). He or she will probably ask you for a press kit, your marketing plan, and a copy of your book and decide from there when and where a signing would be most appropriate. Together, you and the community relations manager will work out the time and location, and start promoting the event. Read more about Book Signing Tips.
What is Opt-in Email Marketing? (Isn't this SPAMMING?)
The service is nothing less than a huge email broadcast, sent out to people who have opted to receive commercial marketing messages. These are people who are ready and waiting to hear from you. They can then easily click through to your own website, to Xlibris' bookstore, to Amazon or wherever else they choose. It is definitely not spam and completely solicited.
How will I know if my marketing campaign worked?
Within a week of sending out your campaign, we'll send you a fulfilment report with all the details of your publicity efforts. For example, the report for the Opt-in E-mail Campaign would include:
- Number of emails sent
- Number opened
- Number of people who ultimately clicked through to the web page you selected
Can I choose my media targets?
In general, yes. For campaigns like the Press Release, Publication Announcement, Book Review and to a certain extent the E-mail Campaign, you will have a say as to where the promotional material is sent. For others, like the Newswire, it is sent to a large audience (over 6400 subscribers) which is fixed in nature
Start Publishing Your Book Today!
Call 0800-891-366 or +61 2 9423 5044 if you are calling from outside New Zealand (international call rates apply). You may also send an e-mail email@example.com for your free consultation. Get Started today by requesting your Free Guide To Publishing Services